Diagnosis - Slow weight gain and pissed off parent


Margo had her 8 month check up a week ago.

For any of you following along, we went to a natural-minded pediatrician with Lane who allowed us to delay vaccines and rarely ever reacted to any questions we had with any type of panic.

But I'm out of work right now which puts this family on government insurance which puts us in the office of a pediatrician who is strictly AGAINST delayed vaccines of any kind (no negotiation at all) and who has their opinions about how children should progress.

And while I like the pediatrician personally, I tend to furrow my brow at their professional advice.

For instance, little-bit Margo has gained .2 ounces in 2 months.  She's been eating normally and has also had a lot of table food and she's thriving fantastically.  But the doctor started asking me if I ever pump.

What now?  I said.
Do you pump to see how much you make?
I don't believe that's any indication of how much I make, but thanks.
Well sure it might not be accurate, but it can give you a ballpark.  And you can see if she's getting enough.
Well wouldn't her appetite and behavior lead on to her being hungry more than a general number of ounces that I pump (not feed, but PUMP)?
Maybe.... he said.  Maybe.  But you should still pump just to see.

Yeah no doc.  No.  I am the woman who has intentionally controlled her oversupply for baby #2 so I don't get mastitis.  I am OFF WORK.  and I feed her every single time she shows any signs of hunger, and oh by the way I was the baby in 8 month clothes at 18 months.  That was little-bit me.

I kindly said I'd consider it and ended the conversation.  Then I watched Margo's legs get shot up with 6 vaccines.

I swear I feel like medicine is failing us.  The more people in the world, the more rote it's become.  The more time I spend waiting in the office for a doctor to put me and my family through the checklist he's written for every one of his patients.  It's depressing.

I DO want to vaccinate my children, but I don't want to feel like I have no control over it.  For instance, I'd really love to split MMR and Varicella into 2 shots and give them at 18 months instead of one big shot at 12 months while she's getting 6 other vaccines.  I still want to give them to my kid but in my own, gentler way.  Why can't we compromise?

NO.  YOU ARE A ROBOT-WE ARE A ROBOT CULTURE-YOU KNOW NOTHING- YOU'RE UP AGAINST MY MEDICAL DEGREE-EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE THE ONE SITTING UP WITH YOUR KID'S FEVER AT 3AM FOR 5 NIGHTS-OH BY THE WAY YOU ARE INADEQUATELY PRODUCING BREASTMILK-YOU ARE INADEQUATE-YOUR BABY IS TOO SMALL,TOO BIG,NOT ON THE CHART, OFF THE CHART, MY CHART!!!

(in my head I say fuck off, doc.  fuck off.  I've been on the wake forest campus, I know where you went to school.  I was down the street getting a contemporary dance degree.  I bet i know just as much about the body as you do.  And I'm fine.  and my baby is too.  and OOPS we're busy at 12 months - let's reschedule that appointment for 18.)

Comments

Popular Posts